Plans, organises, directs, controls and coordinates the public relations activities within an organisation.
Skill Level 1
Corporate Affairs Manager
Corporate Relations Manager
Public Affairs Manager
Community Relations Manager
External Relations Manager
Media Relations Manager
Group: 1311 Advertising, Public Relations and Sales Managers
plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate advertising, public relations, sales and marketing activities within organisations.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Basis of assessment
The Australia and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) is the basis for the assessment of applicants’ qualifications and experience required to perform specific jobs and what the tasks are that the applicant is expected to have performed in that occupation.
The Country Education Profiles prepared by the Australian Government Department of Education are the basis for any educational assessment.
Years of experience
Where an applicant holds a relevant Bachelor’s or Master’s degree comparable to an equivalent AQF qualification, the applicant must have demonstrated employment experience:
- in a PR-related role for at least three years; and
- in the role as PR Manager for at least two out of these three years.
Where the applicant does not hold a relevant Bachelor’s or Master’s degree comparable to an equivalent AQF qualification, the applicant must have demonstrated employment experience:
- in a PR-related role for at least five years; and
- in the role as PR Manager for at least two out of these five years.
Public Relations Managers plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the public relations activities within an organisation.
The applicant’s employment experience as Public Relations Manager must be consistent with the tasks outlined in the ANZSCO code:
- directing the development and implementation of sales strategies and setting sales targets in order to maximise an organisation’s sales and customer loyalty
- directing the development and implementation of strategies to promote an organisation’s goods and services to as many people as possible
- directing the development and implementation of strategies to generate increased consumption of an organisation’s goods and services through the creation and reinforcement of ‘brand image’ or ‘brand loyalty’
- directing the development and implementation of strategies to build and maintain an organisation’s image and reputation with its customers, investors and the wider public.
The applicant’s responsibilities as PR Manager must clearly be at a strategic level with decision-making authority in key PR-related matters.
The applicant’s responsibilities must have included directing the employees’ activities and monitoring their performance and development on an ongoing basis.
Management & Leadership
The applicant must demonstrate management and leadership experience by referring to the IML Management Competency Framework and selecting one competence from each of the three areas
- Manage self
- Manage and lead others
- Manage and lead the business.
For each of the three competencies selected, the applicant must describe how they achieved these in 300 words or less. The applicant must
- use specific examples from their demonstrated work experience,
- state what they personally did and why,
- what the outcome was and
- what they learned from it.
Position and reporting lines
Dependent on the size of the organisation, business or geographical structure:
- The PR Manager position held by the applicant must be the most senior functional position;
- The applicant is expected to have reported to either a Senior Leadership Team member or the Head of a division/department or equivalent; and
- The applicant is expected to have supervised either qualified or administrative staff.
Type of organisation
To be assessed as a PR Manager for migration purposes, the size and complexity of the organisation will influence the assessment.