Updated on 23 Dec 2019
SOL | State SOL |Employer SOL| Regional
- Stuns and kills livestock, and prepares carcasses for further processing by removing internal organs and hides.
- Skill Level: 4
- Stunner and Shackler (Abattoir)
- Skills Assessment Authority:
- Caveats: No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations: 4511-15 Slaughterperson
Group: 8312 Meat Boners and Slicers, and Slaughterers
- trim and cut meat from bones, sides and carcasses, and slaughter livestock in abattoirs.
- operating switching controls to direct and drop carcasses and meat cuts from supply rails to boning tables
- cutting meat to separate meat, fat and tissue from around bones
- washing, scraping and trimming foreign material and blood from meat
- cutting sides and quarters of meat into standard meat cuts, such as rumps, flanks and shoulders, and removing internal fat, blood clots, bruises and other matter to prepare them for packing and marketing
- operating restrainer and stunning equipment
- severing jugular veins of stunned animals to drain blood and facilitate dressing
- trimming and removing head meat and severing animal heads
- slitting open, eviscerating and trimming animal carcasses
- may slaughter livestock according to procedures required by religious customs
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Please sign in to leave a comment.