Updated on 23 Dec 2019
- Maintains and cares for trees and shrubs by lopping limbs and shaping branches, treating trees with fertilisers and insecticides, removing dead or decaying trees, and advising on general tree care.
- Skill Level: 3
- Alternative Titles
- Tree Surgeon
- Skills Assessment Authority: TRA | TRA-FAQ | Your Career | My Future | Courses
- Caveats: No caveats apply to this occupation.
- Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations:
- 4623-15 Tree Surgeon
Group: 3622 Gardeners
- plant, cultivate, maintain, plan and construct parks, gardens and landscapes, and inspect, diagnose and treat trees and shrubs.
- preparing and maintaining seedbeds and growing sites
- propagating and planting trees, bushes, hedges, flowers and bulbs
- preparing lawn areas by spreading top soil and planting grass, and by laying instant turf
- maintaining planted and grassed areas by weeding, trimming, fertilising, watering and mowing
- pruning trees and hedges, and installing plant support and protection devices
- preparing plans and drawings, selecting materials and plants, and scheduling landscape construction
- setting out and installing hardscape and softscape structures
- constructing gravel and paved areas, walls, fences, pergolas, ponds, barbecues and garden furniture
- examining trees to assess their condition and determine treatment
- lopping limbs off trees and shaping branches using chain and handsaws
- spraying and dusting plants and trees to control insects and disease, and felling diseased trees
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.